It’s hard to make your hair feel good and healthy while also dyeing, highlighting, and bleaching it. Many chemicals found in generic shampoo, bleach, and dyes can compromise your hair’s health and affect its texture and appearance. Soapbark extract is a natural, gentle saponin that washes hair without chemicals and helps maintain your hair’s health by preventing further damage.
Today, I will explain how you can maintain chemically processed hair with the help of Soapbark. First, let me tell you more about how your hair health gets compromised by chemicals like bleach.
Hair is mainly composed of protein (keratin), linked by Disulfide bonds, and covered with invisible cuticles. Our hair shaft (the visible part outside of our scalp) is composed of two main parts, cortex and cuticles.
The cortex contains the natural pigment of the hair (melanin) and holds its moisture. The cuticles protect the hair and help seal in the moisture to protect it from environmental damage such as heat, sun exposure, wind, etc.
Hair Cuticles control porosity. The more the cuticles are open, the more porous it is, and the easier it is to let moisture escape and vice versa. Proteins control the overall softness and flexibility of the hair and give it volume and shine.
Hair bleaching is a chemical process to eliminate the natural pigmentation of the hair. Bleaching replaces the natural hair pigments making space to deposit another pigment (hair dyes). This process is necessary when lightening the hair, and usually compromises the hair's health.
The process of removing pigment particles from the cortex compromises the health of your hair. Bleaching opens up the cuticles of your hair to pull out the natural melanin of your cortex. It increases your hair's porosity, making it prone to dryness, breakage, frizziness. Open hair cuticles make moisture escape easily from the hair and make it feel brittle and rough. Damaged hair bonds may also compromise your hair texture and curl pattern.
Your hair shaft is not a living tissue like skin; once it leaves your scalp, it doesn't have any living cells or regeneration. Once your hair is bleached, all the cuticles open up, and it becomes more susceptible to environmental damage and amplifies their effects. When bleaching your hair, your main priority should be to prevent compromising your hair's health any further, before it breaks off or falls. Here are a few tips to help prevent hair damage:
- Go natural, replace all your hair products with ones that do not contain sulfates, parabens. Sulfates contain detergents that can be harsh on your hair shaft and compromise its health even further. Parabens can irritate your scalp and cause the hairs to fall.
- Trim your hair every 6 to 8 weeks so you could start fresh and prevent split ends from traveling up the hair shaft and causing more breakage.
- Be gentle on your hair when washing it, detangling, combing, and styling.
An excellent solution to help you maintain your hair's health is Soap Bark extract, as it is an ideal solution to treat chemically processed and damaged hair. Soapbark Extract is a 100% natural wash that will cleanse and degrease without drying your hair.What is soapbark?
Tracing back to Mapuche indigenous people, Soapbark extract is one of the long-searched surfactants that have been re-discovered. It’s a gentle yet effective surfactant that helps gently clean dirt and excessive oils from your hair and scalp maintaining its health without compromising it any further.How will soapbark help my damaged hair?
- Soapbark is 100% natural, derived from the bark of the Quillaja Saponaria tree. It has been used as a hair wash since 600–500 BC.
- Soapbark has no harsh chemicals that could build up allergic reactions over time, or damage your scalp.
- Soapbark has a balanced pH, which helps close the hair cuticles, so it prevents your hair's natural moisture from escaping, while also helping your hair color stay on longer, leaving you with smooth, hydrated, and shiny hair.
- Soapbark is a natural surfactant, meaning it cleans excessive oils and dirt on your hair and scalp without drying them out, thus, maintaining their moisture and helping keep your hair's health.
Overall, if you feel your hair's health has changed over time, or after chemical-processing, don't worry, try to maintain your hair's health with the help of our soapbark extract until you grow better, healthier, and newer hair!
Check out our Restorative Hair Wash for more info on how to integrate it into your new healthy hair routine!